You can easily apply for a business permit in Nairobi which can easily be done online via Nairobi e-services Portal.
This follows the new Nairobi Revenue System (NRS) which has become operational after The Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) was appointed by Nairobi City County as the principal agent for overall revenue collection for all county revenue.
The NRS is available for both new applications and renewals for the following services;
- Customer registration and account creation
- Payment for parking services
- Application and renewal of trade license
- Market Cess payments
- Application for food handlers Certificate (Individual and Non individual).
The NRS services are available via www.nairobiservices.go.ke or via App Nairobi e-services on Playstore or using USSD via *647#.
Types of business permits issued by Nairobi county
Whether you are applying for a single business permit or a company business license the following types of licenses are applicable within Nairobi
- Food and hygiene certificate license
- Trading License
- Advertising and signage license
- Fire clearance license
How to apply for a business permit
- Visit the Nairobi e-services portal www.nairobiservices.go.ke
- Register with your details if you do not have an account.
- Next, Log in to your account, you will be directed to the homepage.
- Locate the Single Business Permit option on the homepage and click on it.
- If you are applying for the first time click on the register option. If you had applied before click on renew
- Select your type of business and confirm the charges.
- Now fill in the business ID which can be found on the previous business permits if you had applied before. On the business permit, the ID is on the top right side just below the ‘BID.’
- Enter the year you want to renew, the amount you are going to pay and then click ‘check status’.
- If you are applying for the first time, then you will notice that your wallet is empty and therefore the message that your wallet does not have funds.
- Just below the message is you will find another tab to top up your account.
- Upon clicking on top up, you will be lead to the Nairobi county E-wallet, add your phone number for Mpesa form of payment and click okay and make your payments.
- You will also need to key in your pin or password. This is the same pin or password that you used to log in with.
- You will then receive a confirmation text from Nairobi county that your payment has been received.
- You will be provided with two links on the portal for printing your business permit and receipt.