MPESA’s mobile wallet has revolutionized financial inclusion enabling millions of Kenyans to receive money from abroad or make payments locally leapfrogging traditional infrastructure.
Today, MPESA users can receive money from around the world via Western Union.
The service requires you to have the destination countries ISO prefix which you can easily find online e.g “KE” for Kenya, “NG” for Nigeria, “US” for the United States and “GB” for the United Kingdom.
How to money from MPESA to Western Union via USSD Code
- On your phone dial *840#
- Select Western Union Location
- Choose New Recipient then enter their name
- Input the amount you want to send
- Next, choose the destination by typing in the two-letter Country ISO
- Then state the purpose of funds
- Enter the source of funds
- Confirm transaction details and charges
- Enter MPESA PIN and click ok to send.
You will receive MPESA confirmation SMS of the transaction and another with MTCN from M-PESA Global to be shared with the Recipient