Credit Reference Bureau (CRB) is a company licensed by the Central Bank of Kenya to collect and provide consumer credit information on individuals or businesses.
Many employers and money lending institutions require a clearance certificate from CRB for one to be eligible for employment or loans.
When checking your CRB status make sure that you are registered by either all or one of the three companies accredited by the Central Bank of Kenya to provide CRB services which are; TransUnion, Credit Info and Metropol.
Below is the procedure for checking your status from either of the companies.
How to check your CRB Status through Metropol
You can access CRB services from Metropol through their website, Metropol Crystobol App or by dialling *433#.
Below are the steps.
- Pay Ksh50 as registration fees through the MPESA Paybill number 220388. Enter your ID number as the account number.
- You’ll get an SMS with your unique PIN details, a Reference Number and a special Link
- After registration you can now dial *433# and login using details provided and proceed to get the services they offer.
- You will pay Ksh150 to get your credit score per year. You will be awarded marks between 200-900. Any marks below 400 means your rating is low because you are defaulter. Rating near 800-900 means you have high rating.
- Pay Ksh250 to get Credit Report with detailed information on institutions that have listed you.
- You will be issued with a CRB Clearance Certificate at Ksh2200 after clearing all outstanding loans.
How to check your CRB Status via Transunion
Follow the steps below to get a CRB report from Transunion.
- Send your full names to SMS number 21272
- Enter your ID number
- Choose CC (meaning Credit Status)
- Receive your CRB status.
For a CRB Credit report, you will pay ksh650 and Ksh2200 for a CRB Clearance certificate.
How to check your CRB Status via Credit Info
You can still register with Credit Info to get your credit information yearly. Simply visit creditinfo.co.ke to register. You will then receive your credit report on your email address.