It is that time of the year when we all rush the last minute to the internet to save our skin from Ksh. 20,000 penalty from the Taxman for failing to file KRA returns.
The deadline to file your tax returns is 30 June 2020. To avoid KRA portal overload which usually happens closer to deadline day.
It is pretty simple to file your KRA returns.
- Obtain your P9 form from your employer
- Open your browser and go to itax.kra.go.ke
- Enter your KRA PIN/User ID and password
- Answer the security question that follows then log in
- Update your professional details and proceed
- Go to Returns Menu
- Select ‘FILE RETURNS’ ITR For Employment Income Only
- Select the tax obligation (Income Tax-Resident Individual) and click NEXT
- Click to download the Income Tax Return form using the link provided below
- Enter your PIN, Type of return, return period FROM and return period to (01/01/2019 – 31/12/2019)
- On the platform go to sheet F and enter EMPLOYER PIN, NAME OF EMPLOYER, GROSS PAY, ALLOWANCES and BENEFITS from employment as per the P9 form
- Go to sheet M and select pin of the employer from the dropdown menu, enter name of the employer, taxable salary, tax payable on taxable salary (chargeable pay) and amount of tax deducted as per the P9 form
- Next, go to sheet T ‘Tax Computation’ and the figure as is on your P9 form. Enter your personal relief (where applicable)
- Once you have confirmed the details you have entered compare with the P9 form, validate and generate the upload file
- The file will be saved automatically
- Enter the return period if filing for the first time
- Upload the form by choosing the zip file,
- Agree to the terms and submit
- Download generated receipt
How to file nil returns
- Open your browser on the computer and go to itax.kra.go.ke
- Input your KRA PIN/User ID as well as your password
- Answer the security question and then log in
- Go to the returns menu
- Select File Nil Returns
- Choose the type of taxation and tax obligation you are filing and then enter your KRA PIN
- This will prompt you to enter your details plus the return period
- Complete them accurately and submit
- You will be provided an acknowledgement receipt
Support us by following us on Google News to ensure you don’t miss out on any future updates.
Send comments, press releases, tips, and guest posts to firstname.lastname@example.org.