SuperSport will be bringing the Olympics live and in HD to viewers on DStv and GOtv which will run from 23 July to 8 August 2021 in Tokyo, Japan.
Nancy Matimu, the MD, MultiChoice Kenya said that they are delighted to offer customers the best feature sporting events from across the globe.
“SuperSport is the home of sports and our mission is to deliver value to our customers by making great entertainment more accessible. Our DStv customers are assured of watching the best in class athletes as they compete for the top spots in Tokyo with multiple broadcast feeds. GOtv customers will enjoy four dedicated channels also getting the latest thrills, drama and action from the 42 venues in the Japanese capital. Our offering is unmatched, and we are proud to be able to bring the Olympics to our viewers in Kenya.”
DStv customers will from Tuesday 20 July 2021, have eight dedicated 24-hour channels, with the traditional football and variety channels hosting multiple broadcast feeds from Japan, enabling the Olympics to feature on all DStv packages until Sunday the 8th of August 2021.
What this means is that various Olympic games will be available on a rebranded and dedicated SuperSport Olympic channel making it easier for customers to find their favorite Olympic games. In addition, Grandstand will curate the best events at any given time to showcase the best of the best, giving Premium subs a unique (user friendly) experience.
On DStv, the Olympics channels will be renamed SuperSport Olympic 1, SuperSport Olympic 2, SuperSport Olympic 3, SuperSport Olympic 4, SuperSport Olympic 5, SuperSport Olympic 6, SuperSport Olympic 7 and SuperSport Olympic 8 respectively. Some channels will be available in HD and SD on DStv.
|Current line up||Channel No.||Olympics line up||SD/HD||Content||Packages|
|SS Football Plus||222||Olympics 1||HD||Olympics opening & closing ceremony, Athletics, Swimming, Basketball finals||Premium, Compact Plus, Compact & Family packages|
|SS Premier League||223||Olympics 2||HD||Boxing, Judo, Taekwondo. Wrestling, Weightlifting Karate|
|SS La Liga||224||Olympics 3||HD||Football & Basketball||All packages|
|SS Football||225||Olympics 4||SD only||24 Hour Olympics News & Highlights||All packages|
|SS Variety 1||226||Olympics 5||HD||Cycling, Hockey, Badminton, Table Tennis||Premium, Compact Plus|
|SS Variety 2||227||Olympics 6||HD||Gymnastics, Aquatics, Triathlon, Modern Pentathlon|
|SS Variety 3||228||Olympics 7||HD||Rowing, Canoeing, Sailing, Surfing, Equestrian, Skateboarding||Premium, Compact Plus, Compact|
|SS Variety 4||229||Olympics 8||SD only||Archery, Fencing, Shooting, Handball, Volleyball, Basketball|
|SS Action||230||No change||HD||Boxing, Judo, Taekwondo. Wrestling, Weightlifting Karate||Premium, Compact Plus|
|SS Rugby||231||No change to channel name |
|HD||Olympics Rugby 7s||Premium |
|SS Golf||233||Olympics Golf|
|SS Tennis||234||HD||Olympics Tennis|
GOtv will spread the sport across four channels: opening and closing ceremonies, athletics, swimming, basketball (GOtv Max – SS Football); boxing, judo, taekwondo, wrestling, weightlifting, karate (GOtv Max – SS LaLiga); football, basketball (GOtv Plus – Select 1); 24-hour Olympic news and highlights, plus football (GOtv Value – Select 2). GOtv channels will all transmit in SD.
|Current line up||Channel No.||Olympics line up||Content||Packages|
|SS Football||31||Olympics 1||Opening & Closing ceremony, Athletics, Swimming, Basketball finals||Max & Plus|
|SS La Liga||32||Olympics 2||Boxing, Judo, Taekwondo, Weightlifting, Karate||Max|
|SS Select 1||33||Olympics 3||Football, Basketball||Max & Plus|
|SS Select 2||34||Olympics 4||24-hour Olympic news and highlights, Football||Max, Plus & Value|
Apart from the live coverage, there will be extensive highlights, reviews, previews, historical programming, athlete features and scene-setters with a particular focus on Africa’s participants. SuperSport Blitz, the popular sport news channel, will carry breaking news and results and be the place to visit for your Olympic snapshots.
DStv’s multi-platform offering will extend to live streaming with all the Olympics dedicated channels on DStv being available via live streaming on the DStv App. DStv customers can sign up to DStv App at no additional cost to enjoy all the Olympics games LIVE and on the go.
Customers can watch the DStv App on their smartphones, tablets and smart TV’s by downloading the DStv App from the Apple Store and Google play store.
Key event to watch out for:
Olympics – Tokyo 2020 – What to watch 23-28 July 2021:
With such a huge variety of sport on offer from Tokyo throughout the Olympic Games, we have picked some of the key events for the period of 23-28 July 2021.
- Friday 23 July is all about the Opening Ceremony (12:50 LIVE), an iconic Olympic Games event which sees all competing nations taking to the field at the Olympic Stadium in Tokyo in a true celebration of the human spirit.
- Saturday 24 July opens with Beach Volleyball (01:50 LIVE) – always a favourite of Olympic fans – followed by the ‘sweet science’ of Boxing, with the Men’s and Women’s Round of 32 matches (03:55 LIVE). It will then be the time for Zambia’s ‘Copper Queens’ to strut their stuff in a Women’s Football clash against China (09:50 LIVE).
- Sunday 25 July features the qualification phase of Women’s Artistic Gymnastics (02:55 LIVE), followed by Swimming’s Session 2 (03:25 LIVE). Men’s Football takes centre stage through the remainder of the day, with Egypt v Argentina (09:20 LIVE), France v South Africa (09:50 LIVE) and Brazil v Ivory Coast (10:20 LIVE), while fans of Men’s Basketball will also be treated to Australia v Nigeria (10:10 LIVE on SuperSport Action).
- Monday 26 July sees the continued debut of Skateboarding at the Olympic Games, with the Women’s Street Prelims (01:55 LIVE) a featured event. Kenya will then see double action in the Men’s Rugby Sevens, with games against United States (04:28 LIVE 2) and continental rivals South Africa (11:58 LIVE). Late Monday also features the Women’s Triathlon Individual Final (23:20 LIVE).
- Tuesday 27 July opens with Session 7 of the Judo competition (03:55 LIVE), before Kenya wrap up their group stage in the Men’s Rugby Sevens with a clash against Ireland (03:58 LIVE). Kenya coach Innocent Simiyu will be hoping his team achieves their goal of progressing beyond the group stage: “The selection was tough as all the boys put in the work. We are happy to have a few experienced players fit and back into the fold. Our key target is getting out of the pool. Our first pool game will set the standard for our performance in Tokyo.” Nigeria’s Women’s Basketball team will face the toughest test when they come up against the United States (06:30 LIVE), before Zambia’s ‘Copper Queens’ face Brazil in a Women’s Football clash (13:20 LIVE).
- Wednesday 28 July opens with Surfing Finals for both genders (00:55 LIVE), while Basketball fans will be treated to a Men’s clash between Nigeria and Germany (02:50 LIVE), as well as the Bronze and Gold Medal Matches for Men’s and Women’s 3×3 Basketball (13:40 LIVE). African Men’s Football teams also feature strongly, with Ivory Coast taking on Germany (09:50 LIVE) and South Africa battling Mexico (13:20).
DStv customers can purchase the full kit HD Zappa decoder including one-month subscription on the DStv Access package for only Ksh 2,999. DStv customers have an option to upgrade to any of the other four DStv packages – Premium, Compact Plus, Compact or Family to suit their preferred viewing needs.
GOtv customers can purchase the GOtv decoder plus one-month GOtv Plus subscription for Kshs 1,299 for the best picture quality, widest terrestrial signal coverage across Kenya and over 45 channels.
Customers can purchase the DStv HD decoder or GOtv decoder by simply dialing *423#, or via online platforms Jumia, at any MultiChoice Kenya branch, dealer outlet or select supermarkets countrywide.
Support us by following us on Google News to ensure you don’t miss out on any future updates.
Send comments, press releases, tips, and guest posts to email@example.com.