M-Akiba is open to Kenya’s citizens who have attained legal adult age of 18 years and are in the possession of mobile money enabled phone.
It was first issued in 2015 to help the government to develop infrastructural projects, both new and on-going. The M-Akiba bond is tax-free. The interest rate of the bond is 10% per annum, but payable semi-annually after every 6 months.
To invest in M-Akiba is easy. All transactions are through a mobile phone at the convenience of the investor. Here is how to register an account;
- To invest in M-Akiba, dial USSD Code *889# on your line.
- A prompt will appear on your screen requiring you to enter your preferred Service Personal Identification Number (PIN). Set your preferred PIN then press OK to proceed.
- Enter Your National Identity Number
The M-Akiba bond is open to Kenya’s citizens who have attained legal adult age of 18 years and are in a possession of mobile money enabled phone, a duly registered line and a valid National Identity card.
- Register to Participate in M-Akiba
After entering your National ID number, you will then be prompted to register by dialling 1.
- Accept Terms & Conditions of M-Akiba
The service will revert with the terms & conditions of M-Akiba. You are required to read and understand the terms & conditions if you are in agreement press 1 for YES.
- Complete Submission of Details
After accepting terms & conditions, you will receive notification from your network service provider informing you of your successful submission of details. You will then wait a few minutes for a confirmation message.
- Receive M-Akiba Account Details via SMS
The confirmation message will have your M-Akiba Account Number, Your Name and the activation time & date of your M-Akiba Account. To continue trading, dial *889# on your line and follow the prompts.