Siri Yangu Limited, a Kenyan tech startup, has launched an app called PrivPay that allows M-Pesa users to send money while concealing their personal information from the recipient.
PrivPay is a mobile-based solution that works by generating a unique code that is used to identify the recipient. The recipient then enters the code into their M-Pesa app to receive the money.
The app is free to download and use, but there is a convenience fee of Sh9 for each transaction. This fee is in addition to the standard M-Pesa transfer fees.
For example, sending KES 1000 via PrivPay attracts a fee of KES 34. Doing the same via M-PESA to M-PESA costs KES 12.
PrivPay is a great way to send money to people without having to share your personal information. This can be useful for a variety of reasons, such as when you are sending money to someone you don’t know very well, or when you want to keep your financial transactions private.
The app is easy to use and the fees are reasonable. I would definitely recommend PrivPay to anyone looking for a secure and private way to send money.
Here are some of the pros and cons of PrivPay:
- Secure and private
- Easy to use
- Reasonable fees
- A convenience fee of Sh9 per transaction
- Not all M-Pesa users have access to the app
- The app is still in its early stages, so there may be some bugs
Overall, I think PrivPay is a great app that offers a valuable service. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a secure and private way to send money.
Here are some additional thoughts on PrivPay:
- I think it’s great that Siri Yangu Limited is developing innovative solutions to address the challenges of data privacy in Kenya.
- I believe that PrivPay has the potential to make a real difference in the lives of Kenyans, and I’m excited to see how the company continues to grow and develop in the future.
Is the convenience fee worth it?
The convenience fee of Sh9 per transaction is a matter of personal preference. Some people may be willing to pay the fee for the added privacy and security that PrivPay offers. Others may prefer to use a different app that does not charge a fee but does not offer the same level of privacy.
PrivPay is currently available on Google Play Store and Apple Store. It is currently exclusive for M-Pesa users.