SC Ventures has launched Tawi, a B2B agritech marketplace that will support e-commerce transactions for smallholder farmers in Kenya.
Tawi aims to provide farmers with a viable and consistent market, price transparency, and efficient supply chain management.
The platform will source fresh produce directly from farmers and aggregate demand from commercial clients, such as commercial kitchens.
This will help farmers earn more for their produce while also improving the supply-chain efficiency of high-quality produce to commercial clients.
In addition to providing a marketplace for farmers to sell their produce, Tawi also aims to help farmers improve crop quality, scale, and make the food and agriculture value chain more sustainable. The platform will provide farmers with access to agronomic support, financial services, and other value-added services.
Tawi is currently in the testing phase and has already onboarded over 1,000 farmers and 250 commercial kitchens. The platform is expected to launch officially in the coming months.
The launch of Tawi is a significant development for the Kenyan agricultural sector. The platform has the potential to revolutionize the way that smallholder farmers sell their produce and access markets.
Tawi could also help to improve the quality of food in Kenya and make the food system more sustainable.
Here are some of the benefits that Tawi could offer smallholder farmers in Kenya:
- Increased income: Tawi could help farmers to earn more for their produce by connecting them to a larger market and providing them with price transparency.
- Improved quality: Tawi could help farmers to improve the quality of their produce by providing them with access to agronomic support and other value-added services.
- Reduced post-harvest losses: Tawi could help to reduce post-harvest losses by providing farmers with access to cold storage and other infrastructure.
- Increased access to markets: Tawi could help farmers to access new markets by connecting them to commercial clients.
- Improved sustainability: Tawi could help to make the food system more sustainable by reducing the use of pesticides and other harmful chemicals.
The launch of Tawi is a positive development for the Kenyan agricultural sector. The platform has the potential to improve the lives of smallholder farmers and make the food system more sustainable.
SC Ventures is the fintech, investment, and ventures arm that provides a platform & catalyst for Standard Chartered Bank.